“Why does Simply Web Works hosting cost so much? I can pay much less for hosting“
Your Website is important to us…
-we keep it secure
-we update it regularly
-we keep you informed about what is going on with your website
Websites are not static things. They live on computers (servers) and there are things going on all around them that affect them over time. Also there are a lot of people accessing the Web that would like you to do some work for them with your website. They are called ‘Hackers’ and their efforts can really ruin your day. And a few days after that if they know what they are doing to your website.
The majority of websites that are built for the things that you do are made using WordPress, and that means that any faults or flaws in websites can be easy ways to access your website without your consent. That is, they can be hacked and often repurposed by the hackers.
What happens when my website is ‘hacked’
Websites are just a collection of a whole lot of code that makes your website look as it should and function as it should. But parts of that code over time can become out of date as the platform (CMS) that your website is built on (WordPress) is updated. Over time, if you are not updating your website with updates your website starts to include security flaws that are easier to find and exploit.
Once a Hacker gains access to your website they might
- deface your website (think graffiti on a wall and you get the idea)
- add in malicious code for collecting data or passwords
- use your website to send out Spam emails
You can see that keeping your website up to date is pretty important in the scheme of things. We also add some other protection to your website to beef up the security even more, and this also needs to be monitored. This all takes time and that is why hosting for websites with maintenance costs more that just storing a website on a server.
Do you backup my website for me?
Simply Web Works backups up our websites in a few different ways
- by backing up the whole host computer drive daily
- by backing up each site individually
- by keeping a ‘local’ copy of your website on our original computer
- by sending a copy of your site to a remote server (not in the same building as the host server) via a scheduled backup on a regular schedule.
That way, if something goes wrong we can work on your site immediately with a local backup. Or if we happen to have been struck by a cyclone, we can get a remote copy from a server a long way from the disaster. We don’t have to call anyone and ask them to get your copy, check it over and put it back up on the web. We are in charge of that process and can manage it promptly.
The business that will be hosting your website should be rated on:
- how promptly they service your needs
- how they plan to handle a problem with your site (especially a site crash)
- how they secure their servers and your website and how robust that security is
Website Design – Graphic Design – SEO
Byron Bay, Lismore, Ballina, Casino and beyond the Northern Rivers